Metal Gear Online Beta Impressions



I preordered Metal Gear Solid 4 which got me the code to play the Metal Gear Online (MGO) beta. I created my Konami ID, which is separate from a PSN ID, sat through about an hour of updates, then finally created my character. All of the character options were pretty much just dudes in camo and cargo pants, but after all this is just the beta.

Once I got into the gameplay I found myself a little confused. I'm used to playing Metal Gear games in a certain way: sneak around, stop, take out weapon, aim at head, pull trigger, hide body, repeat. It was a little weird running around trying to navigate the infamous metal gear menus to get the right weapon out in time. I eventually got the hang of it and was cappin' fools in no time. This was made easier, and somewhat frustrating, by the fact that I could not figure out how to take auto aim off.

It was pretty fun, and different, to see the Metal Gear world in a fleshed out online shooter, there is a lot more strategy involved then normal multiplayer games. There are a ton of modes, even with the beta, I only tried out regular death match. I plan to try more and can't wait to get my hands on the full release which ships with MGS 4 this June.


Labels: ,


About this entry